The Point's history
In 1672, Intendant Talon granted the island as a recognized seigneury to François-Marie Perrot, governor of Montreal who then set up a fur trading post facing Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue and at his estate’s farm in the Grande Anse which is nearby today’s Pointe-du-Domaine.
In 1684, the seigneury was sold to Charles LeMoyne, then sold again in 1703 to Joseph Trottier known as Desruisseaux and his spouse Françoise Cuillerier. They moved the estate to the point and built their manor in 1705 and the windmill in 1707-1708. Also, the Pointe-du-Moulin park features a magnificent windmill, its wings still rotate to this day.
Built in 1786-1787, the miller’s house is located not far off and was first occupied by Jean-Baptiste Relle (Harel) from 1786 to 1791 then by Charles Cytoleux known as Langevin, both flour experts.
The windmill of Île-Perrot is one of the two functional windmills among the 18 that still exist in Québec. Whether the pioneers of the island were from Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot, Île-Perrot, Pincourt or Terrasse-Vaudreuil, they were all well acquainted with the windmill which is an icon for the population of the Vaudreuil-Soulanges region. Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot, the town is particularly proud of the park considered as their heritage.